Tacos Rule --> What I'm always doing sometimes: The top 5%

Thursday, January 24, 2008

The top 5%

The other day Michelle and I were watching some show about Metal (it comes from Hell...) on VHI Classic. I pointed out how Mr. Big's ballad was so crappy but that the guitar and bass player were actually really awesome. Later, the show talked about Marilyn Mansion, and I pointed out how John 5, (who was the guitarist for Manson when show was filmed), was actually a guitar virtuoso sort of player as well. (Not really a virtuoso, but he's better than a guitar player needs to be to play for Marilyn Manson.)

So I got to wondering about who the best guitar players are. As with anything sort of rating, there has ot be some set of rules, and even then, it's still arbitary. I don't want to include people like John Williams (not the Star Wars guy, but this other guy), or Chuck Berry, even though, the things they did for guitar were/are pretty freaking awesome. I guess I'll limit the list to metalesque/rock guitar players.

Here's the list of top 5%, which I'd love some feedback on it if you're game for it. I'm sure there are people I'm forgetting or just don't know about.

Steve Vai
Paul Gilbert
Stevie Ray Vaughan
John Petrucci
Joe Satriani
Yngwie Malmsteen
Chuck Norris (Come on..., I couldn't in good conscience leave him off the list.)

Some close, but not quites:
Eddie Van Halen (I know you think I'm wrong, but really, he's awesome, but the guys in the previous section can play circles around him, and he probably can't, and never could have, played the stuff they can.)
Darrell Abbott
Marty Freidman
Buckethead
John 5


Some overrated players:
Carlos Santana
Jimmy Page


This list excluded some real great guitar players outside of the rock type genre such as:
Andre Segovia
John Williams
Wes Montgomery
Me
Tony Rice

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Mike typed so nicely:

Mike,
You should have put yourself higher on the list. You rock. Just the other day, you were playing drums so sweet that your guitar exploded from jealousy. It was totally awesome.

Love,
You

12:25 PM  
Blogger Balloonknot typed so nicely:

First, I'm going to disagree about Eddie. I'll concede he's not quite on the same level as Vai, but he was definately an innovator and almost single-handedly defined what the 70's music scene would be when it reached the 80's. The other's on you list deserve their spots.

I think the most obvious name missing from your list is Randy Rhodes (and maybe an honorable mention for Jake E Lee, but he wigged out and became a hermit). He knew the fretboard as well as anybody, never played the same fill twice. I think Alex Lifeson and Kirk Hammett come close - maybe as close as you can come while not quite making it. In Alex's case, it's easier to slip under the radar when you play with a phenominal bassist and probably one of the top 3 percussionists EVER. Some of his early stuff is blistering.

I have several also-played's in Nuno Benttencourt, Mark Kendall, Richie Sambora, Kenny Wayne Shepherd (though he's a crossover), Steve Gaines, Tom Morello, and George Lynch. Given enough time, I could probably come up with a few more.

Add CC DeVille to the overrated list.

At the top of my underrated list would have to be Lindsay Buckingham. All fingerpicking... Sonofabitch!

And a new category: Best New Blood. I like Nick Perri from Silvertide. He was only like 19 or 20 when they recorded their debut (and so far only) album, and one of the best live acts I've ever seen.

7:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous typed so nicely:

What about Jimi Hendrix? He was tripping balls every time he was playing some mad, mad riffs. Oh yeah, let's not forget about the guitarist from New Kids on the Block. That guy was awesome - and he could dance - all while hangin' tough.

1:16 PM  
Blogger Balloonknot typed so nicely:

I told you given more time I could add a few respectables to the list:

Vernon Reid
Vito Bratta
Stone Gossard

Jimi was another genius relative to his time. Doing things other people had never heard and creating a new sound. It's tough to appreciate what he did when years later young wanna-be ax-grinders cut their teeth on it. Can anybody say "Crosstown Traffic"?

6:50 PM  
Blogger Mike typed so nicely:

Monkey and balloonkknot,
Both of you have some good ideas (though I strongly disagree with Tom Morello and Stone Gossard)

I was more going for technically sound and very aggressive players. Not so much for innovation. For that, certainly, Jimi and Morello(maybe). But come on, do you really think that Jimi, Tom Marshmerllo, Stone Gooseegg, or Marky Mark could play Scarified by Racer X? No way.

Buckingham is awesome, but not quite metalesque enough.

I'm not that familiar with Vernon Reid, so maybe he's one I missed. And is Alex Lifeson that turd from Rush? If so, yeah, I admit he's a very close call.

I'm surprised you haven't mentioned Clapton at all.

But seriously, you guys should focus on how awesome I am at guitar hero on the mildly easy medium level.

Oh, every time I try to say "Crosstown Traffic" it comes out sounding like "Voodoo Chile". Maybe I'm putting the needle down in the wrong spot.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Balloonknot typed so nicely:

Morello is more of a sound innovator than a technical type, but I like a lot of his stuff. As for Stone, I misspoke, I meant Mike McCready, also of Pearl Jam. Not really a fan of the band, but I like his style, especially on the Temple of the Dog album.

I'm a huge Clapton fan, and even though he was successful as a rock guitarist with The Yardbirds, Cream, Blind Faith, Derek & the Dominoes, his gift I think is more towards the blues side of it. As you said, not metalesque.

Vernon Reid plays for Living Colour.

Nice Guitar Hero scores, but then again I'd expect nothing less from a cyber-geek. Do you have your mom's whole basement to yourself?

4:54 PM  
Blogger Mike typed so nicely:

I don't have my mom's whole basement. But I did have your mom's whole caboose! Kielbasa sausage. Booyah!

1:47 AM  
Blogger Spellbound typed so nicely:

What's up with Silvertide anyway. Those cats stole the show from Shinedown when I saw them and I love that first albumn. Are they coming out with any more?

7:00 PM  
Blogger Mike typed so nicely:

SilverCats? Never heard of them. One time, I stole a large penny from teh gift shop at the Lincoln Memorial. I'm sorry Abe.

11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home