Tacos Rule --> What I'm always doing sometimes: The stout is out

Sunday, March 19, 2006

The stout is out

Not really, I just wrote that because it rhymed. Actually, the stout is in, the bottles that is it. In about three weeks I can drink it. And I will. It went smoothly, with limited mess, since Dan helped me out. I have a case of 12 ounce bottles, twelve 16 ounce bottles, and two odd sized bottles, maybe 24 0r 32 ounces or something like that. In the end, I figure I lost about 8 bottles worth of beer from the original 5 gallons (around 96 of the 640 ounces) to the trub in both fermenters, and the samples I took at various stages of the fermenting process. In the end, I'm only getting about 4.25% alcohol or so, not that it matters much to me, but I figured I get more out of my yeast. I followed a recipe for dummies, but maybe next time, I'll use liquid yeast. Not sure. I think I'm going to brew my next batch around late May or June. I have to accumulate some more bottles first: I only have about 8 brown bottles left and 12 clear bottles. Gathering bottles isn't as easy as it sounds. Trying all kinds of beers is nice sometimes, but drinking lots is not always the best idea. Plus, I need a particular type of bottle:
  • Must be pry top bottles. I can't use twist off bottles.
  • Must be brown or dark green. Clear lets light in, so I need to store my beer in things that don't, which makes for more work, and I'm a lazy sonabitch.
  • They must be relatively clean, so, I can't go collecting bottles from the side of the road. Pretty much, I cleaned the bottles I have right after I drank the beer in them. I wouldn't use bottles that had been sitting around for more than a day or two.
  • I prefer bottles that don't advertise commerical brands. Samuel Adams bottles all have "Samuel Adams" on the bottles in raised text. I've avoided those so far.

If you want to give me some bottles, I'll gladly take them off your hands. If your the type who won't except a thank you beer or two, I'll even pay you the deposit you cheap bastard.

Cheers.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Mike typed so nicely:

There's no way Michelle's going to let me do anything in the basement until we get the second floor painted. We started on the bedroom last weekend.

11:08 AM  
Blogger Mike typed so nicely:

"Hey, you should listen to iMogen Heap or Frou Frou, they are like Bjerk."

Sort of.

Since we're telling each other what to do, you should listen to Say Anything.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Mike typed so nicely:

They may be better than Bjerk, but probably not Bjork.

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home